Testimony of Mohamed Lamin Haidala’s uncle, the young Saharawi murdered by Moroccan settlers, the occupation police and doctors

Feb 16th, 2015 | By | Category: rights, Civil and political rights
Mohamed Lamin Haidala

Mohamed Lamin Haidala

Testimony of Mohamed Lamin Haidala’s uncle, the young Saharawi aged 21, who was taking a professional plumbing training course in the occupied city of El Aaiún, son of Abdalahi Haidala and of Takbar Hadi and who lived with his maternal grandparents in the neighbourhood of “Stone House” in El Aaiún.

El Aaiún, 10 February 2014

On Saturday, 31 January 2015, at about 9:30 pm, the settlers of a furniture store located in front of the house of Mohamed Lamin Haidala’s grandparents began to throw him discriminatory insults on the ground of his status as a Saharawi.

The Moroccan settlers were the store owner, his two nephews and two employees. When Mohamed Lamin responded to the insults, the store owner threw him a stone that hit him in the chest and caused him to fall to the ground. The group of settlers then set upon Mohamed Lamin and began to beat him up on all parts of the body, while one of them nailed a scissors in his neck. Thereupon Mohamed Lamin completely lost consciousness. The occupying police arrived and then the ambulance that took him to the hospital called Ben Mehdi, while the settlers remained free.

When he arrived at the emergency room seriously injured, he was accompanied by the police. As soon as they finished stitching his injuries without anaesthetics and without disinfectants, amid screams of pain, he was conducted to the occupying central police station and after being taken to the hospital and back to the police station several times without any notification to his family, he was finally held in the central police station jail, in pain and without minimum human conditions, having neither a mattress nor a blanket; he stayed there until Monday, 2 February.

At 8:00 a.m. he was taken to the hospital where he was injected with pain medication and afterwards he was put with his injuries before a court and before the so-called prosecutor of the king of the Moroccan occupation. The prosecutor asked him for a medical certificate.

When his uncle Sidi Hadi went to request such a certificate, Doctor Hachimi Noufel refused to issue the certificate. This is the same doctor who granted certificates to the settlers who attacked Mohamed Lamin, even without presenting any injury. With all this going on, Mohamed Lamin continued in the courtroom without eating or drinking and suffering from his injuries. When the uncle of young Mohamed Lamin returned to the court without the medical certificate, then Mohamed Lamin was released on a temporary basis, whilst his oppressors went to their homes. When Mohamed Lamin came to his home, another agony began on account of his not being able to sleep.

His family took him to the hospital, where they found the heartless Doctor Hachimi Noufel who gave him oxygen and an injection to ease the pain. Next day, February 3, at 12:00, after passing through a body scanner he was transferred to Hassan II hospital, where he was admitted. At 9:00 p.m. Mohamed Lamin completely lost consciousness. When his uncle called the hospital’s responsible, the doctor answered by phone telling that his condition was not serious and he was going through a recoverable situation and that her presence was not required.

The doctor came the following day and when she saw him, she said: this patient is in a critical condition and he must be sent to the Moroccan city of Agadir because there was not oxygen available in Hassan II hospital. So, they sent him back to Ben Mehdi hospital. He remained there in the emergency room where tubes were connected to his kidneys. Seeing that the young man was in a serious condition, the doctors asked his family members to rent an ambulance in order to take him to Agadir, adding that they could do nothing for him; moreover, the costs for his stay in hospital must be paid before he could get out of the hospital.

Ultimately, the family paid everything but the ambulance took more than an hour to arrive. They were given the pass. Then another agony began for Mohamed Lamin who was in pain during 666 km until he arrived in the Moroccan city of Agadir. In Agadir, he was sent from one clinic to another where he was denied entry until he died only due to misconduct and negligence, like so many other Saharawis who have been neglected and forgotten.


    Comments are closed.